Body of second person killed in Colorado River collision found

Posted September 06, 2018

The bodies of Brian Grabowski, 50, of Tulare, California, and Kirra Drury, 24, of Ventura, California, were pulled from the river Tuesday by divers from the Mohave County Sheriff's Office, officials said.

All three were among four people reported missing after two boats sank on Saturday night following a head-on collision, which occurred between Pirate Cove in Needles and the Topock Marina in Topock, Arizona, according to the Sheriff's Office.

None of the boaters were wearing life jackets, which aren't required but are recommended by authorities, Mohave County Sheriff Doug Shuster said.

Reports indicate that the two boats were traveling around 50 miles per hour at the time of the collision.

"Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who knew Chrisi Lewis and to the family and friends still searching the river for their loved ones", Herbst said.

Emergency services scrambled to the scene, with one person suffering life-threatening injuries airlifted to a Las Vegas hospital. One boater, Raegan Heitzig, remains missing. Nine others were transported to local hospitals with less serious injuries.

What you missed Wednesday, with Le'Veon Bell still holding out
Bell knows that an National Football League running back's career is short lived and wants to make as much money as possible. The Steelers have the option of doing so.

The collision happened on Saturday night near Arizona's border with California when a boat with 10 people and a craft carrying six people collided.

The three others still missing, two other women and a man, are presumed dead.

Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Anita Mortensen said Monday that investigators had yet to determine what role speed might have played in the accident.

This is a developing story and additional information will be updated as it becomes available.

Mohave County, which borders the Colorado River, is a county in Arizona. The search for them has been postponed because of darkness. Rescuers had to call off the search for the missing until Sunday morning because it was too unsafe to put divers in the flowing water after dark.

The sheriff's office said it would continue to patrol the river "until all the unaccounted for passengers are located".