They are calling for workers across South Africa to stay away from work in solidarity against the proposed national minimum wage and amendments to labour law.
Marchers, who included supporters of the Economic Freedom Fighters, took over major towns in South Africa, handing over memorandums of demands at various government departments and offices of provincial premiers.
"We're making a call to every worker to join the strike on 25 April".
"It is a disgrace", said Martin Kgaladi, a vehicle industry worker wearing a T-shirt denouncing the pay level as "a salary of slaves". Saftu have denied these rumours.
"The social media posts saying that people must stay indoors because the march is risky are false", said Patrick Craven‚ acting spokesperson of Saftu.
The people have nothing to fear. We'll do everything we possibly can to make sure that the events we organise are peaceful and orderly.
NASA spots mysterious holes in Arctic Ocean ice cover
However scientists are still stumped as to what could be causing the semi-circle shaped features surrounding the holes. It has also been suggested it could be due to the way the water washes over the snow and ice as seals come up for air.
Craven said the union had been given permission for the march and the local metropolitan police were aware of their routes.
JOHANNESBURG, April 25 (Reuters) - Several thousand South African union members marched in Johannesburg on Wednesday to protest a proposed national minimum wage they called inadequate, presenting a test for President Cyril Ramaphosa.
Gauteng, Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal are expected to be the centre of protest actions, according to assessments so far, and law enforcement agencies nationally have been advised of their roles and responsibilities particularly on crowd and traffic management.
Meanwhile, the bus strike that has been in effect for nearly a week at the national level seems to reach its end.
"Surely, the false narratives being populated can in no way be seen as setbacks for workers, if the main objective of the NMW serves to address poverty, deal within equality and address the apartheid legacy of low wages", the statement added.
Employer organisations offered eight percent in the second year and nine percent for the first year, which would be paid from 1 May 2018 instead of 1 April 2018. "That there is still no settlement, eight months later, shows a clear sign of government's lack of care as both the employer and provider of public services", Maluleke said.